Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Apple Pie

I love Apple Pie!! I can't get enough of it! I'll buy it as a 12" pie from Sam's or even as a 4" pie from Wal-mart. And it's such a great pie for any season! So this year, instead of buying a pie, I decided to try my hand at making my own... 100% from scratch! I have to be honest, I was totally nervous to do this! Here's how it went:

First I made the dough for the crust.
I rolled it out and was amazed at how perfectly it fit into my dish! Yeah, I pretty much rock ;)
Ok... I did have to do a little trimming.
Then came the apples. Peeled by hand and sliced by my handy dandy Williams-Sonoma slicer!
Then I cut the second half of the pie dough into strips to make a "Lattice" crust.
I didn't get any pics of me making the juicy filling, but it was kind of a "be really quick and don't let it burn" process. So there wasn't a whole lot of time to take pics. After I made the filling I poured it over the top of the pie, let it drip through the holes of my "Lattice" crust, and put it in the oven to bake! (I keep saying "Lattice" because I didn't really do it right. I just layered it instead of weaving it like you're supposed to.)
The smell filled my whole house and I couldn't wait to cut into it! Michelle was pretty excited about it too!
I have to say, it turned out pretty good. For my first time making a pie I don't think I did too bad. Next time I'll definitely use a different crust recipe. This crust was pretty thin and not as "buttery and flaky" as I like, but the filling was awesome! I'd give the whole pie a B+.

Anyone out there have a wonderful crust recipe that they want to share?

No comments: