Thursday, June 11, 2009

No Baby Yet

Well, the day came and went and there is still no baby. Here's what happened:

Bryan and I checked in to the hospital at 10:00pm on Monday night. We were very surprised to find that I was having contractions all on my own and didn't even know it! Well, the contractions were small so the doctor decided to continue as planned. They gave me drugs to help things get going and then gave me a second dose of that drug four hours later. At 7:00am a nurse came in to check on me and I was a whole cm dilated! I'm not sure what the hold up was, but we didn't start pitocin until two hours later. Dr.Mos came in at 9:00 and gave the nurse a death look, and was OBVIOUSLY unhappy that they waited so long to start the pitocin. To pass the time Bryan and I read a few chapters of a book we've been reading, watched two movies and visited with family that came to see us. The next time I was checked (not sure how many hours later) I was all the way to 2 cm! It was a very long day to say the least. Well, around 3:00 the contractions where getting really hard and I was about to ask for some drugs, but decided that I would try a few different sitting positions and move around a bit. I just felt silly asking for drugs when I was only dilated to a two! So I found a position that worked for me in the rocking chair and there I stayed until 6:00pm! This is when Dr.Mos came back in to see how I was doing. Well, I was still only a 2 so she decided that she was going to break my water. Luckily Bryan and I had talked about this before hand and I asked Dr.Mos to talk to me about it before she did anything. She explained that I had three possible outcomes. One- She broke my water, that would help speed things up, and I would have Michelle around 2:00 or 3:00am. Two- She broke my water, things kept going slow, and in 12 hours we would be having a c-section. Or Three- She doesn't break my water, we turn off the pitocin, I go home and wait it out on my own, then we reschedule for next Tuesday. I asked her what my odds were, if she broke my water, of having a c-section. After hearing that it was a 50/50 chance I told her that I would rather go home and wait until my body was a little more ready on it's own. Dr.Mos was really nice and totally supported my decision. So, now I'm home... having contractions every now and then, but they are very mild, and no where near consistent. Bryan is back at work. And we are all a little disappointed that baby Michelle isn't here yet. But we decided in advance that we wanted to avoid a c-section if at all possible and we're glad that we did. Now it's just a waiting game. Is she going to come on her own some time between now and Tuesday, or will we be back in the hospital on Tuesday morning starting that long day all over again? Sometimes waiting is the hardest part.

2 comments:

Steve and Stephanie Anderson said...

RANDI! YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A KID! I can't believe it....that's soooo exciting and I'm super excited for you two :) I want to see pics ASAP!

The Rod's said...

Have you had her yet?