Saturday, May 3, 2008

Portfolio

Okay so I'm supposed to be putting together my portfolio for EDUC 1301, but good grief! I've had to make portfolio's for a few of my teacher classes, but this one is by far the most detailed! There are supposed to be seven sections: Resume, Philosophy of Education, Field based experiences, Instruction and Assessment, Classroom Environment, Implementing Effective and Responsive Instruction and Assessment, and Fulfilling Professional Roles and Responsibilities. For the first section the only thing I had to do was make a Resume and put it in there. But for all of the other sections there's a three page paper, a project and a bunch of other stuff. Like in the Field based experiences section I have to type a page of observation for every lab hour I had to do. Then I had to type a three page paper summarizing those pages, and include a record sheet to prove that I did all 16 hours of Lab. That's 19 pages for just the one section! For another one of the sections I have to design a grading rubric and a ten question test to grade two lesson plans that I had to make. With the lesson plans I have to include any worksheets or copies I would need to actually teach that lesson. (That's another section.) I also have to create a discipline plan and write a letter to parents explaining that plan. And write a letter to parent introducing myself and my expectations for their children for the year.

For a long time I was looking forward to putting this portfolio together because it sounds like a great thing to use after I graduate! It will be a perfect thing to bring to interviews to show myself off! So why am I whining you ask... Well, this portfolio is due on the same day as our exam. So not only am I trying to study for the exam and put together this crazy portfolio, but I don't even get it back! My professor KEEPS IT!

I'm going to see if there's any way I can get it back after he grades it, but I seriously doubt he'll be able to tell me when I can come get it. Anyway, I was tired of writing about Lab hours and needed a break so... thanks for listening to me whine!

1 comment:

Ben and Jessica said...

Aww Rand.. You can do it! Just think how accomplished you'll feel when you have it all done and you're actually able to teach.. like a "real" teacher. I've never seen a more fitting place for the phrase "he never said it would be easy, he only said it would be worth it" than school. It sucks.. and not just part of the time.. it sucks 100% of the time, but when you're finished, it's going to be soooo worth it. You can do it!